Moon in Water Signs: “if you love me, cry with me!” – Part 1

©May 2011 by Fabienne Lopez

Moon in Water signs is intuitive, compassionate and sensitive to undercurrentsMoon in Water Signs – Cancer, Scorpio, and Pisces

The qualities of water signs moon can be depicted as moody, sensitive, intuitive, nurturing, and introspective. They are also sometimes exhibit tendencies for being psychic.

For them, emotional expression is a must. They need to be able to vent the full range of their feelings in order to feel nourished and, nurtured.  Therefore, voicing what makes them angry, happy, sad, wistful, or content becomes extremely important to their well-being.

In this sense, one can say this moon is emotionally retentive filtering all experiences through their reactions. They possess a sensory memory capable of hoarding wounds and hurts long after the event is over.

Moon in Cancer, Scoprio or Pisces are psychic and tend to wear their feelings on their sleevesMoon in Water Signs Characteristics

Water moon signs are ruled by their feelings and their moods, whether they liked or not. They are often compared to sponges, picking up on the emotional climate around them, and tuning in to other people’s state of mind with remarkable accuracy. Depending on the undercurrents, their spirits will be uplifted or spiral down. This openness makes this placement an empathetic, sympathetic, and compassionate one with an immense capacity for putting oneself in someone’s shoes.

However, these qualities come at a cost, as often times, watery moons experience difficulties in perceiving which feelings belong to them and the ones they absorbed from others. It also explains their regular need for time alone to dream and rest from conflicting emotions.

The Emotional Needs of Watery Moons

People with the moon in water signs require close intimate relationships in order to develop a sense of security and safety. For them, this connection is the most important thing in the world. Without it, they perceive themselves as alone, separate and cut-off from the rest of their fellowman.

Exchange of sentiments is a means of drawing people together, because feelings are the solvent, which dissolves the barriers between oneself and life and provides a way to merge with others.

Thus, having a trusting partner to bear their soul and likewise to drawn comfort and reassurance is essential. The reverse is also true. More than any other sign, a moon in Cancer, Scorpio, or Pisces requires a demonstrative spouse who is not afraid of sharing emotions.

When blocked, this placement resorts to passive-aggressive behavior to generate an emotional answer. The scenario often backfires as people pull away the moment they recognize the manipulative attitude. The end result is the exact situation they worked their best to avoid.

Watery Moons have long memories and remember every wound and hurt long pastThe Catch 22 of Watery Moons

The moon in a water sign dependency on other people’s emotional response for well-being creates a dilemma for them. How can they nourish themselves if their only means of self-validation is contingent upon someone else’s capacity to reflect back?

The underlying issue then for this moon is not to find the perfect partner capable of mirroring emotions to them but to take one’s feelings seriously and know that they matter.  In other words, develop a capacity for self-love and self-value independently of someone else’s opinion.

The key to this catch 22 situation lies in the ability of watery moons to appreciate and enjoy the richness and importance of their feelings without requiring others to provide constant and unconditional acceptance, love, and forgiveness.

Have you found yourself faced with this predicament? What is your experience of Moon in watery signs? Tell us your story!

I’d appreciate if you take a moment to add this to Stumble, Digg or Delicious because that will help me get more readers. Thank you.

This entry was posted in Astrology, The 4 Elements and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

22 Responses to Moon in Water Signs: “if you love me, cry with me!” – Part 1

1. msfullroller says:

I have a Leo Moon but it’s a 12th house Moon so I relate a lot to this post.

Yes and the mix of a fire moon in a water house could be compounded by by additional planets in water signs and/or house. The image that came to me was the lyrics of Tears of Fire from Keel.

Wounded Angel, She came to me.
      Her broken heart in agony yea
      Seeking answers she cried to me in vain
      Hopelessness filled my eyes with pain

From a Heart So Cold
      Feel my passion flow
      Burn into my soul
      I could never let you go.
      I couldn’t help myself forgive me if you can
      It really wasn’t me I hope you understand
      Too many memories to throw it all away
      I’d never leave you anyway

From Heart so cold
      Feel my passion flow
      Burn into my soul
      I could never let you go.

From Heart so cold
      Feel my passion flow
      Burn into my soul
      I could never let you go.

From Heart so cold
      Feel my passion flow
      Burn into my soul
      I could never let you go.

2. msfullroller says:

Yes, the 12h house Moon is connected to an 8th house Sun/Mars conjunction in Aries. It’s also in aspect a 7th house Saturn/Mercury/Chiron conjunction in Pisces.

Very fitting.

3. Simone says:

I have Moon in Cancer, Mars in Cancer and Sun in Scorpio and I think this describes me very well. I am very sensitive to certain environments- the temperature, music, scenery,the smell, the energy of a place definitely affect me and my ability to cope. Sometimes just hearing a song, smelling a scent, looking at something can make me laugh,cry, etc.I am learning more and more about how not to absorb every single thing from around me.

Hi Simone:
      The trick is to learn how to distinguish between your feelings and the undercurrents of the environment so you can respond accordingly and not get triggered by feelings that do not belong to you.

• Simone says:

I teach high school. so a lot of times I will have to remove myself from the class if I feel a student comes in with a bad vibe( even if I just step outside of the door, take a quick walk down the hallway with the door open) to gain some perspective. I find myself getting way more emotional than I need to be and I have to learn not to let things get to me so much especially with students who have difficult home lives. It’s difficult.

Simone:
          For watery people (and I do include myself), another additional hurdle besides not getting emotionally triggered by other people’s emotions is that we have to learn that it’s not our job to fix their problems. Over time, I learn that if I apply this advice each time I am tempted in rescuing somebody, I get less emotionally surrounded by their feelings. It’s an efficient to protect yourself, but quick walks work too.

4. Pingback: Moon in Water Signs: “if you love me, cry with me!” – Part 1 » AstroDispatch.com » Astrology Around The Web

5. Oh my gosh, you just wrote my life story. Especially the part about needing people who are emotionally responsive.

“Nothing draws anxiety quicker than another person’s unresponsiveness, because it is like dropping into the void. One ceases to exist.”

I mean, wow!!!! That’s my life in the past 15 years. Especially the ‘dropping ino the void’ part. I am still digging out and with resources like your writing and knowledge and willingness to teach what you know, I am learning to cope.

But while I am more aware, now my challenge is on staying myself while I deal with being me around those unresponsive types that life puts in my path. I am I am

6. Actually, if I’d read your article to the end, you gave me the solution that I actually have been working on really hard for the past 5 years,

“In other words, develop a capacity for self-love and self-value independently of someone else’s opinion.”

Really valuable advice and a daily work out for those of us (like me) who get our exercise jumping to the comment box instead of reading through the article or making snap decisions that are totally wrong headed or trying so hard to prove myself that I am the one getting bitten by life because I am too stubborn to ask for help. Sigh.

Being a Cancer is great in a lot of ways. I am stubborn which is really good at staying the course but terrible when I am scared to change. I hold on to memories which is great when they are good but terrible when they are ones that hold me in the grip of physical pain like fibromyalgia. Perceiving others around me means I pick up on emotions like a slap in the face and stepping back is a matter of creating distance.

Being me is an accumulation of events that have shaped my responses. Forging new responses takes almost as long as it took to get into the bad habits. My best advice to myself each day is to let in life and let go pain experience and let go.

Thanks for this blog. I learn about myself every time I take the time to open my mind’s eye and really look.

namaste

7. paloma says:

I’m a 12H cancer sun and a 4h scorpio moon /neptune and I’ve found in the last 10 years that the only way to keep my sanity is to make sure I have a solid hour or two to myself every day. I often walk in nature (ocean or park with lake) which I find really healing and seems to help ‘ground’ me or work in my garden, touching the earth… When I find it impossible to have this self-reflective, processing time, I find I get really anxious and stressed and behave in more reactive manners… I wish I knew this about myself many years ago, I would have saved myself much heartache… thanks for such an insightful blog.

Yep, it comes with the territory of having Moon in a water sign or lots of water in the chart. Solitude is a requirement. The funny thing is most people do not understand the need to be alone and are horrified by it.

8. dusk says:

I identify with this article…I’m a gemini sun, with a moon in pisces as well as many other placements; I have more pisces in my chart than any other sign, and I realise I’m very very open, sometimes even gullable and I feel things strongly. Crying is therapy for e when emotions get too much. And withdrawal helps for a while so I can reboot! Art, music and poetry are also ways that I express myself and feel better

Dusk:

Welcome and thanks for commenting. From what you said, it seems the element distribution in your chart is tipping in favor of Water. When you have an excess of water, you can feel like you are “water-logged” with emotions and contradictory feelings. From what you describe you are already doing what is best for this element.

9. Joe Bill says:

I tend to find that the moon in a water sign is sensitive emotionally, but when it comes to love, usually Venus is the bigger deal. For example, if you find someone with Venus in cancer, you’d better get ready to weep with them often–otherwise they are gonna be pissed at you pretty soon. I find this holds to be true more with vedic astrology than tropical-based astrology–in other words the location of venus in the Vedic system tells me more about a person’s love language than their moon–their moon tells me more “what makes them comfortable”.

Hi Joe Bill:

Welcome to Astrology Unboxed! I appreciate you taking the time to post a comment. I agree with your assessment, even tough I am not familiar with Vedic astrology. I would add that, in my opinion, the moon is more important than Venus, as the moon relates to what makes us feel secure. Security will most often times trump other considerations in my experience. With Venus you will understand what makes the person fall in love, but with the moon you will know what will make the relationship last.

• Joe Bill says:

Fabienne,

Yeah, I think an argument can be made for that too. The vedic system has a way of changing signs around but everything tends to work out the same–but it offers a little more granularity for me anyway. Are you using the tropical system I presume?

Hi Joe:

Yes, I am using the tropical/placidus system. Just because I was taught in that system. I am not really familiar with the Vedic system. I had only a brief reading once using the Vedic system. All I took out was that I had a really good, strong chart.

Joe,

I am not really familiar with the Vedic system. I only had a brief reading couple of years ago. What I remember is the astrologer telling me I had a good and strong chart. I do use the tropical system and pPacidus, because that what I was taught.

• Joe Bill says:

lol. Well, the two aren’t all that dissimilar in my view, but they do give different information from a different perspective.

Joe Bill:
            The funny thing with my Vedic reading being so “upbeat” was that I was a little miffed with it. My tropical chart is quite challenging and I am attached to that characteristic. So having someone tell me my chart is wonderful was not a pleasant surprise. But I am working on changing my perspective.

10. Joe Bill says:

Fabienne,

I guess all polarities are only temporary…any challenge can be made beneficial with the right perspective–of course, given a choice between sailing on a yacht and being the elephant man, I’ll take the yacht.