Moon in Earth Signs: “If you love me, feed me!” – Part 1

©May 2011 by Fabienne Lopez

After moon in Gemini, Libra, and Aquarius, it is the moon in earth signs turn.

the moon in earth signs is sensual, tactile and in need of a familiar environment

The Characteristics of the Moon in Earth Signs

Moon in Taurus, Virgo, or Capricorn are pragmatic, security conscious and materially oriented. They are grounded on tangible things and are attuned to the practicalities of day-to-day life.

The more they appreciate the needs of the body and the reality of mundane living, the better for their sense of safety and security. Moon in earth people get comforted by rituals when stressed as they provide reassurance, protection, stability, and continuity.

In Taurus, Virgo, and Capricorn, this luminary has an unconscious need to be occupied, to be doing something, rather than being lazy and wasting time.

Maybe this attitude comes their instinctive understanding of the rhythms of nature, never idle, always purposeful and everything is in constant motion, contributing to meaning and the perpetuation of the life cycle; hence, their earned reputation for being workaholics.

Moon in Taurus, Virgo and Capricorn have a deep need for financial securityA Need for Financial Security

Financial security and social acceptability constitute the mainstay of an earthy moon. No amount of money is ever enough to protect from chaos and change. Business comes before pleasure as to ensure safety and protection; consequently, they are always planning their next move to greater financial security.

Work, responsibility, order, and organization are their ticket to their dreams:  an investment net full of benefits and material stability. Their greatest fear is to die in poverty. Nothing sweeter and better than a solid bank account with healthy savings, a sizeable portfolio of stocks and bounds, real estate properties, and a well-funded retirement plan.

Body needs are of paramount importance for this placement due to their highly tactile and sensuous nature. They require regular physical contact and sensory stimulus to be grounded and connected within.

Reliable, dependable, and stable are some of the attributes of earth signs moon, in addition to conventional and traditional. They make steadfast, faithful, and loyal friends who dream of an enduring relationship with those same characteristics.

Moon in earth signs has uncomplicated feelings and pragmatic emotionsUncomplicated Feelings and Pragmatic Emotions

A romantic gesture for them means to be fed, stroked, touched, and be given tangible and concrete things. Nothing says, “I love you” better than pizza, and a diamond ring!

Simple and uncomplicated, they do not comprehend nor dwell on emotional complexities. Moon in Taurus, Virgo, and Capricorn struggles to understand nuances of feelings or just simply be able to relate to a point of view different then hers; therefore, they have often been accused of being superficial and concerned only with the material world.

They adopt a pragmatic attitude towards emotional problems. If the difficulty cannot be resolved in a concrete way, it is not worthy of their interest.  Hence, it does not exist. A stance that offends sensitive people, such as water ones and has earned earthy moons a reputation for being uncaring and unfeeling.

More details will follow tomorrow with a closer view at each placement in Taurus, Virgo, and Capricorn.

In the meantime, what is your experience of this moon? Share a story here.

If you liked this post, please spread it on Facebook, and Twitter.  You can also subscribe to this blog by email, or by RSS feed. Of course, comments are always appreciated.

This entry was posted in Astrology, The 4 Elements and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to Moon in Earth Signs: “If you love me, feed me!” – Part 1

1. Natalie says:

Ha, ha. I’d take the pizza over the diamond ring, otherwise perfect description. Nothing says love like Italian food! I will ignore an emotional problem if I can’t fix it. My attitude is very much that emotional drama will pass, and then you can look at the problem with a more objective eye. That’s when you can get anything done. This very practical approach to emotional drama – and I’m surrounded by drama queens – irritates the hell out of people, but it’s also something they rely on. Someone has to keep their cool, right? When I’m the one with the problem, I have the same approach. I give myself time to get through it (I worry and comfort eat – I used to smoke like a chimney), or just ignore it until I’ve got some distance. I never talk about it or analyze it for hours, or try to figure out why this happened to me. It did and now I have to deal with it.

Natalie:

Spoken like a true Virgo Moon! Your approach is very sensible and indeed does solve problems. However, I cannot stop thinking there is a denial of feelings at play that can be hard for more sensitive people and even kids. I am probably remembering my Mom who has a Virgo sun and acted pretty much like that. As a kid, her attitude always felt like a rejection of feelings. Detachment is hard learned lesson, one which takes times for Fire and Water.

• Natalie says:

I agree with you, absolutely. My mother is a Virgo, my father had a Virgo moon, and there was a total denial of feelings in any situation. It is hard for sensitive people to deal with, and when I was a young I felt completely rejected by both of them. My 11 year younger sister has a Cancer moon, (with two older sisters with Virgo moons, poor thing). She was needy and clingy, and taught me more about nurturing than anyone else. I always felt that I took so much care of her, I “used” up my maternal instincts. I think Virgo is a good sign for taking care of people, but perhaps not so much when it comes to emotional needs. I feel there’s a fear about loosing control, or of being vulnerable to something they don’t understand.

reminds me of my husband….”feed me!” :) See video on Youtube “Little Shop of Horrors” Audrey II

3. Pingback: Moon in Earth Signs: “If you love me, feed me!” – Part 1 » AstroDispatch.com » Astrology Around The Web

4. lona says:

thanks, Fabienne.
    really enjoyed the article.
    i have a question.

given the state of our economy the last couple of years, what specific manifestations would occur with a person with an earth moon who was unable to find work, due the recession?
    would it be different than an air or fire or water sign, since material security is so paramount for earth’s sense of worth? if so, how?

lona

Hi Lona:

You ask some interesting questions. Without seeing the chart to understand the person, I can only make educated guesses. Yes, I believe each element responds in a different way when they find themselves unemployed. Fire might go into business for themselves and be very pro-active in finding solutions to their predicament. Air would excel at networking. Water might take this opportunity to develop spiritually, volunteer at food banks for those in worse shape or just be in denial. As for earth, I believe they would fare better than most, since they would have saved for a rainy day such as unemployment. They probably also take drastic measures to cut expenses to conserve their resources and go back to school for some additional training. Earth is very practical and does what it takes to solve a problem. Would they be more affected emotionally than the other elements since security is so important to them Maybe and probably, but they would also start a side business (in the food industry) to generate income while still looking for a job.
      I am not sure if that answers your question. Did you have a particular example in mind? It might help me to give you a better answer.

5. mary beth says:

i am loving this series on moon placement. my partner has sun, moon and mercury in capricorn and boy, can this be irritating to my placements! we are one of the couples going through incredible turmoil over the recent planetary phases and its helpful to see the various factors at play, to understand better how the other is ticking. looking forward to hearing about my moon placement. many thanks

Mary Beth:

I am sooo happy you like the series! They are fun to write but you never know if people are not going to get bored with it. I agree with you understanding the factors that contribute to irritations and disagreements in any relationship. But more important is to known what you need in order to honor your own lunar needs, because the more you feel nurtured, safe and protected, the easier it is to relate to others. I believe this is one of the lessons Saturn in Libra wants us to learn.

6. Cat says:

I have Virgo moon, Pisces Sun.. it gives me no end of trouble.

My pisces wants to be reckless and crazy and untidy and dreamy, but the virgo moon is always there, holding me back, being fussy, wanting me to be respectable and responsible.
    I’ve just broken up with a moon/sun in gemini. With him it was all words, nothing real… off to read about moon in gemini now!

Great series! Thanks
    Cat x

Cat:
      Welcome. Having an opposition between the sun and the moon is always hard to navigate until we learn to accommodate both needs equally without resorting to wide swings in each direction. It takes times to find ways that are compatible.

7. Simon says:

Very true!

My Moon is in Capricorn. I love people when they feed me. I always hang around them. Even if I don’t like their personality, I will be around for the food, comfort & security. I think people have a hard time reading me or knowing how I feel, which is good and bad. It’s good because emotions don’t get in the way of things and create chaos. It’s bad because it can be seen as being emotionally dishonest, externally.

Moon in Capricorn does make someone a little bit psychotic, something all Cap Moons must come to terms with. In fact, in the film Black Swan, Nina’s character (played by Natalie Portman, who I thought had Moon in Capricorn but her Moon is in Virgo) is a good archetype for a person with Moon in Capricorn: she denies her feelings, tries to be nice, disciplined and strives for perfection until her repressed dark side takes over. As a Moon in Capricorn, I cannot say how much I relate to that.

I detest being around people who are emotionally messy. I can’t handle it. I think emotions should be kept private, not necessarily repressed.

Great article. Thank you.

Hi Simon:

Yep, emotional messiness with Earth moons are a big deal, specially a Capricorn one, who wants everything done correctly and according to the proper etiquette. My take on this is that they were never really allowed to be kids. Capricorn moons do not know what to do with dependency in themselves and others. They just toughen out and expect those around them to do the same; hence the difficulty in accepting the emotional messiness.