Moon in Air Signs: “If you love me, talk to me” – Part 1

©May 2011 by Fabienne Lopez

Next in our series – Planets and the Elements, we turn our attention to the Moon.

Moon in Air signs are emotionally detachedThe Moon as an Emotional Weather Barometer

The element of the Moon’s placement (Water, Fire, Air, and Earth) in our chart is an indicator of many influences.

First of all, it indicates the characteristics in which we express our feelings. When placed in Aries, Leo, or Sagittarius, we tend to show our emotions in a spontaneous way; in an earth sign, the tendency is to demonstrate in practical and concrete manner.

By extension, the element represents our emotional weather barometer, a guide of which specific approach we adopt in regards to this aspect of our life. It tells us what can make us experience love, and consider safe, and secure. In addition, it is also an important signifier of how we behave in a relationship.

The more attuned to the particularities of our moon, the greater are the chances to develop emotional stability and comfort with who we are.

Stephen Arroyo states “The Moon’s element also shows how you react instinctively to all experiences, with what energy you spontaneously adjust yourself to the flow of life.”

Moon in Gemini, Libra and Aquarius like to talk about their emotionsThe characteristics of Moon in Gemini, Libra, and Aquarius

An air sign Moon find its security with intellectual ideals, an awareness of the power of communication. In this element, this luminary is most comfortable with self when expressing ideas and interacting with others. Thus, people with this placement develop a wide range of friends and acquaintances with whom to share their special awareness of words and concepts.

Gregarious, friendly and sociable, the Moon in Gemini, Libra and Aquarius needs verbal contact through intelligent conversations, intellectual humor, engaging pursuits and thought provoking topics to experience aliveness. Air moon signs seek mental stimulation over passion. Without this type of excitement, there is no emotional attachment to the relationship.

They have a profound hunger for a beautiful and intelligible world. The more these two qualities are present in their lives, the more nurtured they feel.

Being able to articulate their emotions is another safety requirement. A moon in Gemini, Libra, or Aquarius enjoys talking and analyzing their feelings, however they do not want to acknowledge them. They need human contact but an uncomplicated one.

Forethought and objective evaluation of a situation is the hallmark of this moon when confronted with change.

An Airy moon hungers for a beautiful and intelligible worldOn the other hand, an air moon people are threatened by ambiguity, complex emotions, isolation. Any undercurrent in relationships drowns and suffocates them.

To defend themselves against emotional situations, they model their behavior according to social rules as opposed to their natural inclination. They are conventional in this regard and want to follow the proper and accepted conduct.

Thus, their habitual response when faced with such situations is to talk about their emotions instead of living them. As a consequence, this attitude has earned them a reputation for being cold and unfeeling and are often perceived as superficial and non-responsive; cut-off from the mind-body connection.

However, the moon in air sign lack of responsiveness can be a blessing as she is able to distance herself from too much turmoil and assess things with a more detached approach. The need for private space helps  in this regard.

Have you recognized your Moon in those vignettes? What is your experience of Moon in an Air sign?

Did you like this post? We’ll send more interesting posts, like How to Nurture your Creativity using Astrology to you! Enter your Email Address below.

This entry was posted in Astrology, The 4 Elements and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to Moon in Air Signs: “If you love me, talk to me” – Part 1

My dad was born on a day the moon changed signs, and I don’t have a birth time for him. Since he passed on over 5 years ago, I think he had a Gemini moon, he was very social and everywhere in the neighborhood people knew him. He often brought total strangers home for dinner, which used to drive my mother crazy. The quote that best describes his life is “There are no strangers here; Only friends you haven’t yet met.”

Have you considered a moon in Aquarius? This unconventional attitude can also be reflected by this moon.

• katley says:

I did a solar chart for Dad, on his birthday the moon was either in Taurus or Gemini, and the Gemini sounds like a better fit. He could have had Aquarius rising, though. Without a birth time, I don’t know his ascendant sign. His sun was in Sag, and he often brought home foreigners from Latin America. The most memorable person that Dad brought home was a lady from Guatemala. She became a family friend and the friendship lasted over 30 years, until her death in 1998.

2. Pingback: Moon in Air Signs: “If you love me, talk to me” – Part 1 » AstroDispatch.com » Astrology Around The Web

3. Merryweather says:

My Moon is in Aquarius… and the phrase “If you love me, talk to me” sums it up pretty much PERFECTLY! If there is no verbal (or written) communication between me and another, then I automatically assume we have no kind of relationship at all.

Merryweather:

I can totally understand where you are coming from. I have a moon in air sign too and being able to have an intelligent conversation is one of the most important things for me. And if we don’t I assume they don’t love or care for me. I am working on overcoming this assumption. Do you have any suggestions?

4. Debbie says:

Some insight based on the comments. I have moon in Aquarius and have had two TRAIN WRECK relationships with highly intelligent quiet men! My shadow or evil twin sister often emerged because they didn’t talk to me. I always turned this on myself on my inability to be emotional and didn’t think what I was lacking! On that note though I am curious any insight on how air signs can tap into their emotions – live them…

Debbie:
      That’s the million dollar question! What I would say first is to look at the chart and see how much water is present. Very little? No water? average? too much? The I would proceed and check what planets are in water signs. Are they personal or outer planets? By doing this the person should have a clue about the areas where they can be emotionally triggered. Also understand that expressing emotions is difficult for air signs and it can be a challenge for them to know what they are feeling. Basically, I would say, whenever you are rationalizing too much, stop and check inside yourself to see what emotion is beneath it.

5. Debbie says:

My chart spread is 5 fire, 7 earth, 4 air, 3 water. My water planets are Neptune (water in water), Mercury in Scorpio (10th) and good ole Chiron in Pisces (2nd house)

It is interesting as I have taken a LOVE to yoga, but a lot of yogis are these lets hug and talk about love all the time people. In fact at a recent workshop we had to go around and hug everyone for 3 breaths. A bit much for for me. I really have a hard time with that because I don’t connect with people by hugging and sharing every detail of my emotional life so a lot of challenges as that seems to be the way yogis connect. I like this workshop, but there is a push for everyone to tell their story. I ask is it really important I do or is it really important to the workshop leader? She is convinced people have to give voice to their fears and story. I am not sure, but it may be resistance – maybe rationilization. What I do know the more I am pushed, the more I retreat.And there is a wee bit of fascination watching a workshop leader struggle to relate with the quiet ones. Okay rambling!

I used to dance & that was my emotional outlet – dancing out anger, sadness, etc was a great expression because I didn’t have to articulate it, but I could dance it out! LOVE music for the same reason – gives voice to often what I cannot identify until I hear others words. I am bummed I was born with a voice. I would definitely be a singer!! LOL

Perfect example of using Neptune in a water sign to express your feelings through dance and music. Mercury in Scorpio would be suspicious of giving away any feelings before knowing they can trust the person. And even then, it would be like pulling teeth, so no wonder you are reluctant. It is true that often sharing feelings in a workshop setting creates a false sense of intimacy but it can also be a catharsis, much depends on the person, the facilitator and the goal of the workshop. Personally, I believe it is more important of being aware and cognizant of one’s feelings than to express them. For me, expression is a second step.

6. Debbie says:

that should be not born with a voice