The Best and the Worst of Mars in the Water Signs

© April 2011 by Fabienne Lopez

This is the last post in our series on Mars in the Elements; let’s take a look at Mars in Cancer, Scorpio, or Pisces.

Water Mars asserts himself through the power of emotionsThe Quality of Water:  Asserting through Emotions

Water Mars find its assertiveness from instincts, emotional power, persistence, and strong intuition. Feelings and actions work in tandem to help them achieve their goals. They need to know how they feel first (which takes some time to unravel), before acting. However, once they are clear on their feelings, Mars in Water people work persistently towards their objectives.

In this element, Mars is quite adept at strategy because he works around obstacles as opposed to direct, heads-on confrontation. He considers alternatives ways to achieve the same results, probing many solutions until finding one to accomplish the intent.

Mars in Cancer is an excellent defense strategistMars in Cancer asserts himself by going backwards and sideways since they need lots of encouragement to get started. They are not quick or direct, and show a fearless quality in the safeguard of those they love. At the same time, they have difficulties asserting their authority when dominated by other people’s feelings and security needs.

They make excellent defense strategists because they use their lunar intuition to understand their enemies’ emotions to develop a battle plan to defeat them.

Emotions fuel their creativity. Passions are awakened when they believe themselves secure, protected and with like-minded people. An ongoing support group of artists with whom they can share, and connect should keep Mars in Cancer happy.

Mars in Scorpio understands that the power of assertiveness comes from being vulnerable to the possible outcome. They have a double sword vulnerability: either they act out of fear or they confront their worries and learn to make decisions based on a clear understanding of the consequences.

As with any water Mars, Mars in Scorpio exercises his will in a roundabout way by manipulating other people’s emotions, which can bring healing to others if properly exerted.

This Mars is vitalized by mastering impossible challenges. The kind of difficulty requiring controlled power to be channeled with the utmost discipline and perseverance.

Provocative activities, like lap dancing, tantra retreats, kundalini yoga, and breath work should get them creatively stimulated.

Mars in Pisces asserts himself through non-verbal means of expression

Mars in Pisces has an enormous capacity for art, music, love and compassion, but a very fluctuating energy level that doesn’t always permit long-term focus.

Like the other water signs, this placement is indirect, passive, receiving, and likes to surrender to emotions. They derive their sense of empowerment by being of service to others and the voice of the collective.

You know their creativity is blocked when they resort to play victim and start manipulating people without considering the bigger picture.

To be effective, Mars in Pisces needs to be receptive to his inner spiritual calling and develop a strong sense of connection with his deeper self.

Any activity combining their artistic talent with a humanitarian cause where they express their concerns in a free and imaginative manner will do wonders for their inspiration.

If you liked this post, please share it on Facebook, and Twitter.  You can also subscribe to this blog by email, or by RSS feed. Of course, comments are always appreciated.

This entry was posted in Astrology, The 4 Elements and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to The Best and the Worst of Mars in the Water Signs

1. Natalie says:

You’re right on the button with Mars in Cancer – I can just say check, and sigh. I’m not on friendly terms with my Mars in Cancer, it’s a bit like having heavy and muddy boots when you try to run. I have to admit, I’d love to have Mars in a fire sign, to be able to strike right at the moment, to have a natural authority. The passive-aggressiveness of Mars in Cancer can be depressing. It took me years to admit to myself I was good at manipulating people, and that doing so, wasn’t a good thing. It’s really hard for me to be direct with people. I’m lousy at arguing my case, and prefer to go about things on the quiet. That’s not always a good thing. Although I do try not to manipulate anymore, it’s not a quality I want to have (it can be handy, of course, and very tempting …), and I try to be honest with people, but if I meet too much opposition, I’ll shrug my shoulders and say fine. And then just do things the way I see fit. It can annoy the hell out of people, and then if I get cornered, I get extremely defensive. It was worse when I was young, since I didn’t have much confidence. Now, I work very hard on not taking things so personal. (It makes life easier and not so melodramatic). I write about it instead!
    I’m very good at reading people’s feelings. I work on getting better at protecting myself from “bad vibrations”, but find that I have to retreat to recharge once in a while. You’re very right about the safety matter. If I feel safe, I’ll chat with anyone, but if not, I’ll withdraw completely, and noone will notice I’m there. Not sure I could deal with a room full of frustrated artists, though. All that whining and fussing … like fingernails on a blackboard!

Natalie:

Thanks for such thoughtful comment. I can only agree with you and say check and sigh. I also have that placement and in addition my Mars is not well aspected. Yes, manipulation is very tempting when you are incapable of arguing on your behalf – especially when you do it so beautifully and with such conviction for others. I often use the image of learning how to become proficient in defensive martial arts and use your opponent’s strength to your advantage. Another reader compared to having to learn to surf. You are forever waiting for the wave but when its comes you are ready.
      However, I think people misjudge fire & water combinations, they are powerful since steam is what launched the industrial revolution. Don’t make the mistake to think it is a wimpy placements. It’s not. It just does not operate according to standard procedures. Therefore, it takes more time to learn how to use it.
      Over the years, I figured that honesty is the best policy and tell people about my intentions. But I agree a little more fire would be nice.

I find being with “frustrated artists” very liberating, for me, anyway, because there are so many of us. We share our writing and creations on Facebook, and it’s a very supportive bunch.

By the way, with Mars in Cancer, the best offense is a good defense :) I find that works well for me.

Hey Katley:

Can you say more about how you use your Mars in cancer to your advantage. There are several of us here that have this placement and we are discussing ways to improve it.

• katley says:

I think the best defense strategies are to:

1. study your opponent (get inside that person’s head). Use some of that water sign psychic ability to get a real feel for him/her.) Then you make your plan.
        2. develop a strategy (with pushy people you go along with them for a while since they love it when you agree with them, then deliver the coup de grace when they least expect it)
        3. I find defusing conflicts with a sense of humor works very well. Either your opponent will laugh with you or walk away angry, yet perplexed….he /she expects you to get mad right back, and this is an unexpected response.
        4. When all else fails…ignore them. Pretend they don’t exist. After a while (hopefully) they give up.
        Hope this helps :)

Thanks Katley. Those are good suggestions, especially #3. Humor really makes things much better to handle and to deal with.

3. Pingback: The Best and the Worst of Mars in the Water Signs » AstroDispatch.com » Astrology Around The Web

4. Mars in Cancer is a tough position for me. I didn’t realize I had this problem until I logged onto the sky writer website and started reading and working through my own chart. I have been called passive aggressive, over sensitive, and reality avoiding for years. I started doing the research to find out what and who my invisible opponent was. It’s been truly a life long project for me but along the way I learned not to take myself so seriously, I learned to look at the other person’s position and my affect on them, and when all else failed I learned to say to myself “take in, let go.” And that simple phrase has done more for me than every other avenue of work I have done. Letting go of pain, letting go of frustration and anger at myself for not being assertive, not facing a problem directly, not being like I “think” I should be. What a relief to deal with letting go!! This practice helps me stay strong and realize that I am good, I am helpful, I do matter. Thank you for your blog.

Peace

I do not know if this helps but I have been called that too since I also have this placement. It is a tough one. But letting go is a good strategy in this case. I have a slightly different take on this this one tough. Instead of letting go, I have been practicing not getting attached to the end result. Whatever the outcome, it is the right one. As for boundaries, there was this post on Skywriter last week, that explained boundaries perfectly. It was about having an open heart. The guest blogger – I forgot her name – said that you needed an open heart, but it needed not to be open 24/7. Boundaries was a flexible movement, like a membrane expanding and contracting and not a rigid limit, which is where I think a lot of mars in water sign fail. They believe it needs to be a fixed demarcation. It was a very interesting perspective on the issue. Did you read it? What do you think of the idea?

• Thank you, that’s so very insightful. Letting go and accepting that whatever the outcome, it is the right one. I think it is a wise course as well for me to work on.

And I agree about the boundaries issue you bring up. I have never thought of boundaries as being a flexible barrier that extends and contracts but it makes perfect sense. And, goodness knows, I have had tremendous difficulty with boundaries in my life. Taking in all the negative energy from others as I work around them and not letting it go was probably one of the ways I developed the fibromyalgia I have. I have learned lately that letting go of that negativity I have absorbed really helps the pain. For me, at least, fibro has a mind/body link very much related to this issue. Many thanks for your knowledge and for taking the time to explain.

I do believe most of our illnesses have a psychosomatic component to it or just in general our body aches. The body has a lot to tell us if we would just listen. but that’s where the problem lies most of the time. In any case I am glad my explanation helped.

5. Alice says:

Awesome post on Mars in the Water Signs…..!!! My sun sign is Cancer, it would be great if i can get to know more on Mars entering Cancer…….including all the aspects of the life. Thanks for the share….!!

6. Natalie says:

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone for sharing! This discussion and the post has made me understand Mars in Cancer more. I do practice the let go technique (not so good at letting go of the outcome, Fabienne), and sometimes that actually provoce other people who just can’t understand how I can let something go. Don’t you want to get back at … or don’t you want to stand up for your rights? (I have lots of Scorpio friends …). When I was young I thought of myself as a coward, but now I see that I’m quite brave. By letting things go, I am free to move on and do the things that make me happy. Love the steam image, Fabienne. That is so true! I’ll think like the little engine that could now …

I am loving the discussion as well. It’s how you know when you have succeeded as a blogger :)