Mars in the Earth Signs: Steadiness of the Senses

© April 2011 by Fabienne Lopez

Next in our series on Mars in the Elements, we look at Mars in Taurus, Virgo, and Capricorn.

Five Sensesphoto © 2009 Nicki Dugan | more info (via: Wylio)The Quality of Earth:  Grounded in the Day-to-Day World

Concrete and measurable achievements, conquered over time through patience and efficiency, are the characteristics of an Earth Mars.

Mars in Earth people are seldom aggressive, but they absolutely are determined individuals.

Other qualities of Mars in Earth are their objectivity, resourcefulness, and a sense of purpose from which they derive ample joy.

In order to achieve their success, they organize their environment around a detailed, disciplined, and efficient system that perdures. Think of the Roman Empire and you will understand the scope of accomplishments this Mars is able to master. Here is a society who, through effective organization, conquered the world and built an infrastructure (roads, theaters, aqueducts, temples) still in existence today.

In Taurus, Mars acts steady and mellow, much like Ferdinand the Bull. On the other hand, it might take some time for them to get active. There is certain inertia present (hence the agreeable side). Nonetheless, once activated, Mars in Taurus people can become the compulsive Energizer bunny and keep going.

Initiating action is difficult for this placement. They depend too much on a clear understanding of choices available. Often times, this Mars falls into the trap of exerting its will on behalf of others; forgets about his desires, needs, and wants.

Creatively, they get blocked when their efforts are not appreciated which, in turn, can build up to slow rage and deep resentments over time, as they do not register anger easily.

Physical and sensory activities, like massages, painting, model building, and gardening keeps their sense of purpose alive.

Sensingphoto © 2010 snowpea&bokchoi | more info (via: Wylio)
Mars in Virgo can be summarized as discreet, efficient, and prone to useful actions, for the benefit of the community. Other adjectives used to describe this Mars placement are practical, talented in dealing with the nitty-gritty details, organized and structured.

Astrologer Melanie Reinhart states, “they assert themselves through the creative management of resources and structuring of time, money, and energy so that everything works properly.”

Thus, their greatest fear in this area is lack of order, which prevents them from organizing things in a structured way and dedicate themselves to their craft.

Community projects where Mars in Virgo solves problems, organizes volunteers, and leads to results for the greater good are ideal to keeping their creativity happy and fulfilled.

In Capricorn, Mars asserts himself through personal accountability for his own empowerment.

Conversely, they can hinder their Mars qualities by taking on too much responsibility or inappropriate one.

Thanks to the influence of Saturn, this earthy Mars works hard, persists until it reaches its goals as long as they do not lose the structures they have built to help them.

On the other hand, they find themselves caught in the routine and have a difficult time letting go of their to-do list, slowing down and relax, or give up the day-to-day struggle of personal burdens. As a result, their creativity gets blocked.

The best way to rejuvenate their inspiration is to put the Mars in Capricorn artist in charge of corporate, long-term art projects like a government monument where their ambition and practical smarts are rewarded.

Liked this post? Why not subscribe via email and get a fresh post delivered right to your email box each time this blog updates?

This entry was posted in Astrology, The 4 Elements and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to Mars in the Earth Signs: Steadiness of the Senses

my husband has Mars in Virgo. He drives me crazy with attention to detail, and boy can he nitpick. He is very organized and a good problem solver, though, and very handy fixing things around the house.

Yes, Mars in Virgo can nitpick, no doubts about it. On the other hand, the job gets done, on time, on budget and it is good solid work. Since Virgo is quincux to Aries, I say it’s the yes but syndrome that comes into play. Yes they are great to have around the house to fix things, but the excessive attention to details can grate your nerves.

2. Shelley Kaufman-Young says:

This may be off topic slightly but … Arrgh. My Mars is in Cancer…. Lot of power swirling. I find it is hard to direct towards goals. It is almost like finding that right wave for surfing. I just have to keep swimming towards the big rollers to redirect my life. Really frustrating but at least now that I know I can adjust the big waves I swim towards.

Thanks for the great article,
    Shelley

Hi Shelley:
      No, you are not off, just a day early! I will be discussing Mars in Water signs, tomorrow, April 29. I do hear you, however. I also have Mars in Cancer, squaring my sun. It is indeed difficult to this type of Mars to initiate action. What I have earn throughout the years is that Mars in Cancer is an excellent defense strategist. I have learned to utilize the qualities of this Mars.
      I love the image you used to describe our Mars. I think of it in terms of Self-defense martial arts – the ones you learn how to use your opponent strength to your advantage.

3. Pingback: Mars in the Earth Signs: Steadiness of the Senses » AstroDispatch.com » Astrology Around The Web

4. VJ says:

I look forward to your post regarding Mars in Water. Perhaps after reading it, I will have more respect for my Mars. I have Mars in Cancer (1st) sextile to Sun in Gemini (12th). Frankly, Mars in my chart is well aspected. But I do find it difficult to start the race, steady my chariot, and horses in order to get to the finish line. BEN HUR is one of my favorite films, and the chariot race is the best, ever!

I love the way you described Mars as a defense strategist. Although I’ve never considered myself a strategist, I suppose I am. Because I definitely have learned how to navigate my chariot, and horses around many obtacles.

Thank you, again for valuable information!

VJ:
      I agree. The chariot scene is the best of all times and one of the highlights of the film. I would say that having good aspects to your Mars does help balance the fact its placement. Every little bit helps!

5. Alice says:

I must say, this is an incredibly framed article on Mars in Earth Signs. Thanks for passing along such an interesting with us here….!! Nice one…!!