©August 2010 by Fabienne Lopez
- Writer’s block?
- Need to rejuvenate your creativity?
- Feeling creatively stuck?
Pick a deck of cards (Enrichuals from Suzanne Vadnais Monson is one of my favorites) and choose 2 cards to symbolize the problem and the solution:
The Problem: Describe the first card in as much detail as you can muster:
- Notice the distribution of images, the background, the foreground, the predominant colors, the words, the overall energy feeling, the call for action, if any.
- Engage your senses. Use your senses and describe the sights, sounds, smells, tastes and touch you associate with the card.
- Say it out loud as sometimes cards communicate through puns and wordplays.
The solution: Follow the same procedure for this card and then ask yourself:
- Is there a pattern or connection between the two cards?
- Compare notes between the two cards.
- Ask yourself, “What happens next” and write about what you want to happen next.
To finish the ritual, try one idea that bubbled to the surface as you played with the images the cards brought forward.
Perform the card-pulling ceremony for a couple a days and see what comes up.
I use this ritual when I’m stuck and find it always brings me to an unexpected place.
What creative rituals do you use to rejuvenate your creativity?
Post here and let me know!
Photo Credit: Enrichual Card. Courtesy of Suzanne Vadnais Monson